I love this simple cous cous lunch. One perk is that it is delicious at any temperature: cold, room temperature, or hot. When I store it to eat later, I just make sure to give it a squeeze or squirt of lemon juice right before eating; the lemon flavor gets lost after it has been stored for a few hours. I call this cous cous “fun” because of the bright, exciting mix of flavors… I truly have fun eating this meal!
The following serves two people:
- 3/4 c cous cous
- 1 c low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 can low sodium chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/3 c dried cranberries
- 1/3 c bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 c feta cheese (I used reduced fat), crumbled or chopped
- 1/2 large tomato
- 1/3 c walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice + zest if using a real lemon
- cook cous cous according to package directions, or: heat broth until boing, add cous cous and olive oil, cover, remove from heat and let sit for 5 min.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies.
- Stir everything in to cous cous, add lemon juice right before serving.